Library Code of Conduct
The Library is open at designated times to the public for the purpose of reading, studying, using Library materials, and participating in Library programs or events. The term “Library” when used herein encompasses the Library Building and the Library grounds except where the context indicates otherwise.
Violations of this Library Code of Conduct may result in the suspension of Library privileges, including but not limited to the right to enter the Library or Library grounds, use Library facilities and/or to borrow materials.
The following are not permitted:
- Violation of any Library Policy
- Activities that could damage the Library or Library property, including but not limited to:
- Damaging or stealing Library property
- Eating or drinking in the Library buildings except in designated areas or at authorized times.
- Using scooters or skateboards or wearing roller blades or other inappropriate athletic equipment.
- Using another person’s Library card number to borrow materials without their permission
- Activities that could interfere with the use of the Library by other patrons or interfere with Library personnel performing their duties, including but not limited to:
- Making noise, running, or engaging in other disruptive conduct
- Using audio/video equipment so that others can hear it
- Having offensive bodily hygiene constituting a nuisance to other Library patrons
- Being in the Library without appropriate attire (e.g., not wearing a shirt or shoes)
- Using a cell phone or not silencing a cell phone in the Library buildings except in designated areas
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage or other personal items unattended
- Threatening, harassing, staring at or physically harming another patron or Library personnel
- Engaging in any inappropriate sexual activity in a public place
- Carrying a weapon unless authorized by law
- Selling or soliciting without prior approval from the Library Director, or panhandling
- Using the Library’s computers or Wireless connection in a disruptive or abusive manner or in violation of the Library’s Computer & Internet Acceptable Use
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children (see the Library’s policy on Unattended Children)
- Sleeping for extended periods of time or in a manner disturbing to others
- Inappropriate use of bathrooms (e.g. no bathing or dressing)
- Illegal activity of any type, including but not limited to:
- Criminal mischief
- Disorderly conduct
- Possession or sale of illegal drugs and/or drug paraphernalia
- Public indecency
- Engaging in sexual activity, contact or assault or any act of lewdness or exposure prohibited by law
- Activities requiring consultation and approval from the Library Director:
- Soliciting contributions, petitions, or signatures
- Conducting interviews or photo sessions inside the Library building
- Photographing or videotaping
Anyone violating Federal statutes, State statutes, local ordinances or the Library’s policies may be required to leave the premises and may be reported to the authorities. Police assistance may be utilized if deemed advisable by the Library staff.